Herbed Summer Squash Pasta Bake.
You can cook Herbed Summer Squash Pasta Bake using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Herbed Summer Squash Pasta Bake
- Prepare 8 ounces of pasta , any shape you like–I used rotini.
- You need 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- It’s 1 pound of summer squash , halved lengthwise and sliced thin.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of lemon zest finely grated.
- You need half of lemon Juice of a.
- You need 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter (45 grams).
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic , minced.
- Prepare 3 large or 5 of scallions skinny , sliced thin and white/pale green parts and dark green tops in separate piles.
- Prepare Pinches of to taste of red pepper flakes.
- You need 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour (25 grams).
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of milk , ideally whole but low-fat will also work.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flat-leaf parsley chopped , divided.
- Prepare to taste of Salt pepper and more.
- You need 3/4 cup of parmesan pecorino romano cheese finely grated or aged , divided.
- Prepare 4 ounces of mozzarella (115 grams) , cut into small cubes.
Herbed Summer Squash Pasta Bake instructions
- Cook the pasta: If you’ve got an oven-save 3-quart deep skillet or braising pan, use it here and you’ll only need one pot for the whole recipe. Otherwise, bring an medium/large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 1 to 2 minutes before perfect doneness. Drain and set aside..
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare the squash: Heat a large skillet or the pot you just used to cook your pasta to high heat. Once hot, add olive oil, and let it heat until almost smoking. Add sliced squash, season it with salt and pepper flakes and let it sear underneath, unmoved, until golden brown. Continue to saute until browned and somewhat wilted, about 10 minutes, trying to get some color on each layer before moving squash around. Transfer to a bowl and squeeze lemon juice over bowl. Add more salt or pepper if n….
- Make the sauce: Reheat your the same pot over medium heat. Melt butter in bottom of pan. Add scallion white and pale green parts and garlic and let sizzle for 1 to 2 minutes. Add flour and stir until all has been dampened and absorbed. Add milk, a small splash at a time, stirring the whole time with a spoon. Make sure each splash has been fully mixed into the butter/flour/onion/garlic mixture, scraping from the bottom of the pan and all around, before adding the next splash. Repeat until all….
- Assemble dish: Off the heat, add drained pasta, summer squash, 1/2 cup grated parmesan and all of the mozzarella to the pot, stirring to combine. If pan is ovenproof, you can bake your final dish in it. If not, transfer mixture to a 2 to 3 quart ovenproof casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan..
- Bake: For 25 to 30 minutes, until edges of pasta are golden brown and irresistible. Sprinkle with reserved parsley and serve hot..