Sri Lankan Crab Curry.
You can have Sri Lankan Crab Curry using 24 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sri Lankan Crab Curry
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of raw long white rice.
- Prepare 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of desiccated coconut (unsweetened) OR freshly grated coconut.
- Prepare 1 inch of ginger minced.
- Prepare 6 of garlic cloves left whole.
- You need 1/2 of yellow onion finely chopped.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of unroasted curry powder recipe below – see notes for substitutes.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper I use 1 heaped tsp because we like it extra spicy.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of tamarind paste.
- Prepare 6-8 of curry leaves.
- It’s 1-2 of pandan leaves fresh or dried.
- It’s 2-3 of fresh red or green chili peppers or 2 serrano peppers, sliced or slit in half.
- You need can of coconut milk good quality.
- You need 5-6 of FRESH blue swimmer crabs cleaned and cut in half.
- Prepare of Salt to taste.
- You need of Drumstick leaves traditional, but optional.
- Prepare of If you can’t find curry, pandan or drumstick leaves you can add some flat leaf parsley or cilantro instead.
- You need as needed of Water.
- You need of Unroasted Curry powder (Please see notes).
- You need 4 tsp of whole coriander seeds.
- You need 3 tsp of whole cumin seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- It’s 1 tsp of fennel seeds.
Sri Lankan Crab Curry step by step
- Curry Powder Finely grind all the spices in a spice grinder. Set aside. If you are using roasted curry powder, add another 1 tsp of fennel seeds, ground to a powder (or ½ tsp ground fennel)..
- Crab Curry Grind the raw rice and coconut until fine (or if using fresh coconut, grind until you have a fine paste). Set aside..
- Add about 2 tbsp of coconut oil (or vegetable oil) into a large saucepan (there has to be enough space to gently stir the crabs) and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onions have softened..
- When onions are soft, add the 1 ½ tbsp of the curry curry powder, cayenne pepper and coconut/rice mix. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the spices become fragrant..
- Add the tamarind paste, sugar, chili peppers, curry leaves and pandan and ¾ of the coconut milk from the can. Add a generous ¼ tsp salt (more can be added after you taste it later). Bring it to a boil..
- Place the crabs in this gravy/sauce and gently mix to coat the crabs with the thickened gravy..
- Bring it to a boil on medium high heat and then lower the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until the crabs turn pink and are cooked through. Make sure to turn over/stir the crabs half way through cooking to make sure they are well coated with the gravy while being cooked..
- Add extra coconut milk if you prefer it more creamy, or up to ½ cup of water to dilute the gravy. Add salt to taste..
- Add the drumstick leaves or parsley or cilantro leaves and stir through while hot..
- Serve warm with steamed rice. Enjoy!.