Baked Sago/Tapioca Pudding(Chinese Dimsum).
You can cook Baked Sago/Tapioca Pudding(Chinese Dimsum) using 7 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Baked Sago/Tapioca Pudding(Chinese Dimsum)
- You need 35 g of sago/tapioca pearls.
- You need 15 g of custard powder or cornstarch.
- You need 250 ml of milk.
- You need 1 of egg.
- Prepare 30 g of sugar (less sweet) – can go up to 45g sugar.
- You need 40 ml of evaporated milk.
- You need 10 g of butter.
Baked Sago/Tapioca Pudding(Chinese Dimsum) step by step
- Follow the instructions of the sago/tapioca pearls package – some brands require soaking and others do not..
- To cook the tapioca, put water in to a pot and turn it on to high heat. Wait for the water to come to a full boil..
- Put the tapioca in and cover it for about 15min-20mins. Do not lower the heat. Stir it occasionally so that the tapioca doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. You should see the pearls turn translucent. Once the pearls have turned mostly translucent, take the pot off the stove and keep it covered for another 15 minutes. The residing heat from the pot will keep slowly cooking it. The pearls are cooked once they are all completely opaque..
- In a bowl, combine the custard powder/cornstarch with half of the milk. Mix well..
- Add the egg to the custard mixture and combine well..
- In a pot, pour the second half of the milk with the butter. Heat up the pot on medium heat (this avoids the milk from burning at the bottom)..
- Slowly add in the sugar and make sure it's dissolved..
- Add in the custard mixture slowly. As the mixture is heating, stir it slow and you should see the custard thicken..
- Once the custard has thicken, pour the cooked tapioca in and mix it well..
- Preheat the oven to 400F..
- Divide the mixture into the 4 ramekins..
- Put the ramekins onto a baking tray and place about 1/3 inch of water into the baking tray. This will ensure that the custard will stay moist..
- Bake for about 20-25 mins..
- If the top hasn't started caramelizing, you can turn the oven to broil for a couple of minutes. If you turn on the broil, please watch it as it may burn..
- You can serve immediately or wait for it to be room temperature..