California Farm Fresh Firm Tofu from scratch.
You can cook California Farm Fresh Firm Tofu from scratch using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of California Farm Fresh Firm Tofu from scratch
- You need of non GMO dry soybeans, Amazon, $0.55 per cup, fresh, latest crop.
- It’s of water to soak, 12 cups of water to make soy milk, 1/2 cup to mix vinegar.
- You need of unseasoned 4.3% rice vinegar, Amazon, $0.05 per tablespoon.
- You need of Or, use two cups of fermented whey from last batch, kept in airtight container, wait till it is fermented, (frothing) to use instead of vinegar.
- It’s of Tools needed.
- Prepare of rock to press the tofu.
- Prepare of Plywood cover under rock to fit glass dish.
- Prepare of square glass dish (20 x 20 cm).
- It’s of Mesh bag to filter soymilk (amazon, $3).
- It’s of Large cooking pan, medium pan, wooden ladle, skimmer.
- It’s of Cost.
- It’s of Soy beans $1.65, rice vinegar 15 cents, 4 dinners, 45 cents each per dinner, plus 12 soy meal bean breakfast pancakes.
California Farm Fresh Firm Tofu from scratch instructions
- To make a tofu press, put rock, plywood and glass dish in boiling water to disinfect, let dry and cool..
- Cover three cups of dry soybeans with six cups of water, soak overnight. Makes six or seven cups of soaked beans..
- Put soaked beans in blender one cup at a time with two cups of water. Whip to a white creamy smoothie: the better the blend, the better the tofu..
- Slowly bring to a boil, but do not boil, while stirring. Heating creates more foam, skim off foam..
- Pour hot soybean froth through funnel into soymilk bag in medium size pan. squeeze bag, makes over eight cups of clear soy milk..
- Empty out the bean solids from the bean bag. They look like this. Keep this to make eighty bean pancakes! (2Tbs bean solids, 2 Tbs flour, 2 farm fresh eggs, Tbs spring onion, 1/2 tsp red pepper, soysauce, vinegar, sesame oil, fry, breakfast for two, ten times over!).
- Bring soymilk slowly to a second boil, stirring with wooden spoon, scraping bottom constantly. Do not boil. Remove from heat before boiling over..
- Cool to 190F (80C), skim top if any milk skin has formed, and drizzle in vinegar- water solution or fermented whey solution slowly while stirring, stop when soy milk has curdled. Whey on top is yellowish, curds on bottom are white. Curds are solid..
- Strain whey into scoop with strainer, i get about five cups of whey. Scoop curds into tofu press. Pour two cups of whey in airtight container, let ferment (froth) in dark place, and use as coagulant next time to replace vinegar..
- Now comes the cool part! Scoop curds in tofu press, put plywood cover and rock on top, press for an hour or untill firm. Must be cooled down to cut. Slice in four squares, one square per person, slice one square in four strips, stirfry, bake like tofu terriyake steak, deep fry, steam. Garnished with Daikon, Gari, leek, butter lettuce, sweet red pepper. Enjoy!.