Southern Shrimp and Grits.
You can cook Southern Shrimp and Grits using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Southern Shrimp and Grits
- You need 2 cups of milk.
- It’s 3 Tbs of butter, cubed.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/3 teaspoon of pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of uncooked old-fashioned grits Please, no instant grits!.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I used Aged Havarti.
- It’s of SHRIMP:.
- You need 4 of thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 pound of uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
Southern Shrimp and Grits step by step
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 4 teaspoons drippings..
- In a saucepan, bring the milk, butter, salt, and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly stir in grits.. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese until melted then stir in the bacon, or sprinkle on top when served. Set aside and keep warm..
- Saute the shrimp, garlic, and seasoning in drippings on medium-hot until shrimp turn pink. Don't overcook..
- Put the grits on a plate and either serve the shrimp on the side or on top of the grits..
- I served it with Chardonnay.