Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen). To bring the essence of Key lime pie to our lime bar recipe, we wondered if Key limes were really key. We found that regular lime juice was acceptable (fresh is essential, however), especially considering. These Key Lime Bars are a delicious twist from the classic lemon bar desserts, plus the perfect summer treat.
America's Test Kitchen: The perfect picnic side dish. Key limes are smaller, yellower cousins to the bigger, darker green Persian limes you usually see in the grocery store. They're more tart, with fragrant, floral juice and used to be grown widely in the Florida Keys, where cooks invented key lime pie as a. You can cook Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen)
- It’s of Crust.
- You need of animal crackers.
- You need of packed brown sugar (light or dark).
- It’s of salt.
- You need of unsalted butter (1/2 stick); melted and cooled slightly.
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s of cream cheese (at room temperature).
- It’s of grated lime zest.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of sweetened condensed milk (1 can).
- You need of egg yolk.
- It’s of Key lime or fresh lime juice (about 4 limes).
- You need of sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional, for garnish).
This recipe for Key lime dessert bars is quick and easy to prepare with a simple graham cracker crust and lime filling. While Key lime pie is probably the best known lime dessert, these bars have a lot of the same flavors but in a quick and easy version that can be put together in minutes. Lemon Bars America's Test Kitchen posted a video to playlist America's Test Kitchen Cookbooks. Once you have set out to prepare any dish using a single recipe, you might find yourself But to make excellent and mouthwatering lemon bars, you will need tart, citrusy flavors, and thickeners.
Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) step by step
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2 width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray..
- To make the crust: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have aboutj 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven..
- To make the filling: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly)..
- To assemble and bake: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours..
- Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.).
- Recipe can be doubled in 9×13 pan; increase baking time by 1-2 minutes..
Also, you're going to need America's test kitchen. Key Lime Pie Bars With Vanilla Wafer Crust Recipe – NYT Cooking. Sweet, delicate blueberries are easily overshadowed by a dull thickener. We've all had lemon bars, but what about Key Lime Bars? This easy and delicious recipe will leave you wanting more of these tangy and sweet treats.