California Farm Beef Braising: how to make tough beef tender.
You can have California Farm Beef Braising: how to make tough beef tender using 17 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of California Farm Beef Braising: how to make tough beef tender
- Prepare of Pound-and-a-half of chuck steak, inch thick, bone in.
- You need of unsalted butter.
- You need of Quarter cup sherry vinegar.
- Prepare of Quarter cup red wine.
- Prepare of laurel leaves.
- You need of thyme.
- You need of black pepper.
- You need of sea salt.
- It’s of sliced mushrooms for the sauce.
- Prepare of Equipment.
- It’s of ” or deeper Cast iron frying pan with matching cast iron lid (amazon), or dutch oven with heavy lid (creuset or lodge).
- Prepare of Cast iron stove top trivet to put between cast iron pan and electric burner, or.
- Prepare of Use gas stove on low flame without trivet.
- You need of (Instead of trivet, Use removable bottom from spring form pie pan).
- Prepare of for Measuring.
- It’s of Cost.
- It’s of Per pound, grass fed beef costs $4.60 to raise. Portions are 6 ounces, this grass fed beef dinner costs $1.75.
California Farm Beef Braising: how to make tough beef tender instructions
- Brown stick of unsalted butter slowly over medium heat, rub pepper into room temperature chuck steak, sear meat evenly on all sides to a deep brown, remove meat from pan. Turn heat down to simmer, Add 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, 1/4 cup red wine, cup of water, 1/4 tsp thyme, 2 laurel leaves, scrape bottom, bring to boil, stir till dissolved..
- Add steak back to pan, add water till meat is almost submerged. Put pan on cast iron trivet, Close top tight, keep on low heat, braise half an hour. Check to see how much water has evaporated, add water to keep meat half covered. Braise another half hour, check again, add water if needed, till meat is half covered, braise another hour, then another hour..
- After three hours of braising, test meat with fork, meat should have fallen offf the bone. Put on serving platter, remove bone, cut to serving portions. Remove trivet. Bring pan juices to a boil, add the sliced mushrooms, sautee the mushrooms, thicken the sauce, serve with the meat. Sprinkle sea salt on meat to your taste. Enjoy..