California Farm Sun Dried Apples.
You can cook California Farm Sun Dried Apples using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of California Farm Sun Dried Apples
- You need 20 of large Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, half pound each, 10 lbs. fresh makes 8 lbs. dry.
- Prepare gallon of water.
- Prepare 2 Tbs of canning salt for blanching.
- It’s of Equipment.
- Prepare of bucket.
- It’s of mandolin hand slicer with 1/4 “ setting.
- You need of magnetic screen door curtain, 40” wide x 86” high, (amazon, $14).
- You need of cardboard to cover area 40” wide, 86” long.
- Prepare of Cost.
- It’s of Home grown apples are free, if purchased, $20 for 10 pounds makes 8 pounds dry apples, $2.50 per pound.
California Farm Sun Dried Apples instructions
- Dip 1/4” apple slices in salt water to blanch them a few minutes. No peeling or coring needed. When slicing, discard both ends, lay slices lenghtwise over cardboard boxes to dry, full sun, pointing southward. Each apple makes about ten full slices..
- Make about 200 slices, drop slices in bucket with saline solution, stir well to blanch, keep slices from sticking together. Spread slices on cardboard. Cover with mesh to keep the bugs out. Put rocks on the ends of the mesh to keep from blowing away..
- Dry slices in sun one full day. Check second day, flip ones that still feel moist. Third day, feel and taste a slice. Once chewy, Leathery, dry and sweet, pack loosely in paper shopping bag, store in dry closet, fold and close top with clothes pin to keep insects out. Enjoy!.