Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake). This spicy rice cake dish is enormously popular as a street food and also often enjoyed at home. By the time I was growing up as a child, this spicy rice cake dish had become quite popular as a street food. The tteokbokki I grew up with was in its classic form without all the add-ins you see today.
Among other things, today's recipe is made with Korean rice cakes, Korean fish cakes, Korean soup stock / dashi stock and gochujang (Korean chili paste)! Tteokbokki (떡볶이); or stir-fried rice cakes is a popular Korean food made from small-sized garae-tteok (long, white, cylinder-shaped rice cakes) called tteokmyeon (떡면; "rice cake noodles". How to make Tteokbokki (or ddukbokkie, topokki, ddeokbokki, dduk bok ki, dduk bok kie, dduk bok kie, dduk bok kee, dduk bok ki, ddukbokki), Hot and spicy rice cake by Maangchi. You can cook Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake) using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake)
- Prepare 200 g of cylindrical tteok (rice cake).
- You need 150 g of eo-muk (fish cake).
- You need 1/8 head of small cabbage (optional).
- Prepare 1/4 of small carrot (optional).
- You need 1 cup of chopped spring onion (optional).
- It’s 1 of small onion (optional).
- It’s 2 of boiled eggs (optional).
- Prepare 500 ml of water.
- It’s 1.5 tbsp of gochujang (chili paste).
- It’s 1 tbsp of chili powder.
- You need 2.5 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 6 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic.
When I lived in Korea I learned the secret to making good tteokbokki from a famous place in a market. People were lined up to buy it! Tteokbokki is saucy, delicious comfort food in a bowl: captivating to the eye and pleasantly explosive to the taste, it will make you break into a happy sweat. The tender chewiness of Korean rice cakes is enticingly satisfying, the chili's heat is disorienting and addictive.
Tteokbokki (spicy rice cake) step by step
- Gather the ingredients..
- Pour 500 ml of water in a large saucepan on high heat..
- Add chili paste, chili powder, soy sauce, sugar, and minced garlic to the pan and mix well..
- Chop the vegetables into bite-size and add them to the saucepan..
- When it starts to simmer, add the rice cake and fish cake to the pan..
- When it starts to boil, add the spring onion and boiled egg, if using..
- Reduce the heat to medium and let it boil for about 8-10 minutes, until the sauce slightly thickens. Serve hot..
Tteokbokki – Spicy Rice Cake Recipe. Ingredients are adjustable and listed below in my Recipe Card -. The quality of the tteok/dduk varies quite a bit. Have a taste of this addicting chewy rice cake covered in delicious sweet-spicy sauce. Tteokbokki is a very popular South Korean streetfood which is highly approved by lots of Filipinos.