You can cook Pasta Fagioli using 26 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pasta Fagioli
- It’s 16 oz of chicken stock.
- Prepare 16 oz of beef broth.
- You need 1/2 pound of hot Italian sausage.
- It’s 1/2 pound of lean ground beef.
- You need 1 cup of ditalini pasta.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of fine diced yellow onion.
- You need 1 cup of fine diced celery.
- Prepare 1 cup of fine diced carrots.
- It’s 4 of large garlic cloves minced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of fresh minced flat leaf parsley.
- You need 15 oz of can diced tomatoes.
- You need 15 oz of can red kidney beans.
- Prepare 15 oz of can great northern beans.
- You need 1 tsp of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried basil.
- Prepare 4 of rosemary sprigs.
- It’s 3 of bay leafs.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Fresh Parmesan.
- Prepare of Evo.
- It’s 6 oz of tomato paste.
- Prepare 8 oz of tomato sauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water or add more of the broth and stock, which I recommend.
- It’s 2 tsp of white sugar.
- It’s of Kale (bunch) torn from the tough stems and roughly chopped or torn.
Pasta Fagioli instructions
- Cook the ground beef and sausage and set aside.
- Add evo and sauté the carrots celery and onion for about 10 minutes and add the garlic and sauté for another 5.
- Add all dried seasonings and mix well with the veggies and let cook about 5 minutes. Add the meat and mix well and let come together for a few minutes. Add the broth and stock, diced tomatoes and sauce, sugar, water, rosemary sprigs and salt and pepper to taste(add a tsp of red pepper flakes for extra heat). Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on medium for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes check if it needs salt and pepper and add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 20 minutes. After 20 minutes remove from heat and use a smasher to run it through the sauce to pulverize the veggies until it thickens and not chunky..
- Add beans and kale and cook for another 20 minutes covered.
- Cook the pasta in salted water and add towards the end. Serve with fresh parmesan and crusty bread, I prefer sourdough..
- Side note: I take about 1/2 a can of the beans and simmer them in a small pot with some of the residual chicken stock to soften the beans and then purée them and add it when I add the whole beans. Thai will add body and a nice silky texture..