You can have Masala Chai using 9 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Masala Chai
- Prepare 350 ml of approx. whole milk (doodh).
- It’s 350 ml of water (pani).
- It’s 22 of black peppercorns (kali mirch).
- It’s 8 cloves of (laung).
- It’s 2 inch of flat cinnamon (dalchini).
- Prepare 5 g of dried ginger piece whole (saabut saunth) (about size of thumb) Note: you could try using pre-ground ginger powder but the taste won't be the same. Don't use fresh ginger as it can curdle the milk.
- You need 3-4 of green cardamom pods (hari elaichi).
- You need 3 teaspoons of tea powder (chai pattee) (red label brand or other indian brand).
- You need 3-5 teaspoons of white sugar (chini) or to taste.
Masala Chai step by step
- Pour some milk into a medium saucepan.
- Pour some water into a saucepan until it looks like the right consistency.
- Turn heat on high, keep a close watch and lift the pan off the burner if it starts to foam.
- Pound (or grind with spice grinder) black pepper into a powder and add into the saucepan.
- Pound cinnamon into a powder and add it.
- Pound cloves into a powder and add it.
- Pound the dried ginger and add it.
- Remember to stir and lift the pan as needed.
- Add the tea powder.
- Add the sugar.
- Boil on high. Note: if the tea is not a brown color you can keep it boiling and lift it off the heat if it foams until you get the desired color..
- Pound the green cardamom into a powder and add it. Note: adding the cardamom at end gives the tea an aromatic scent and vibrant taste..
- Remove from the heat and strain the mixture into a pitcher.
- Pour from a height between two pitchers to cool and foam the tea. Note: cooling the tea prevents the milk from burning and you can drink it sooner..
- Serve in a cup.