Veggie or Chicken Pho.
You can cook Veggie or Chicken Pho using 27 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Veggie or Chicken Pho
- Prepare of shiitake mushrooms.
- You need of large white onions, peeled and diced.
- It’s of ginger, peeled and sliced.
- Prepare of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- You need of olive oil.
- Prepare of baby bok choy, halved.
- You need of cardamom.
- Prepare of whole star anise.
- You need of coriander seed.
- Prepare of whole cloves.
- Prepare of fennel seed.
- Prepare of cinnamon sticks.
- Prepare of low sodium soy sauce.
- You need of whole roasted chicken (recipe coming soon), shredded, using the bones for the stock. – OPTIONAL.
- Prepare of firm tofu, cut into 1 inch thick triangles, seasoned and roasted in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden. – OPTIONAL.
- It’s of carrots, peeled, then using the peeler continue to peel, making thin noodles.
- You need of green onions, sliced lengthwise and very thin.
- Prepare of flat rice noodles, boiled.
- It’s of water.
- You need of large stock pot.
- It’s of To serve:.
- You need of Fresh basil, left whole.
- You need of Fresh cilantro, left whole.
- Prepare of Bean sprouts, washed.
- You need of Lime, cut into wedges.
- You need of Hoisin.
- You need of Sriracha.
Veggie or Chicken Pho instructions
- In a large pan over medium heat with no oil added, char the mushrooms, white onions, ginger, garlic, and chicken bones if you chose the chicken option. Add the olive oil, then lay the bok choy flat side down to get a caramelized, brown edge. About 5-7 minutes..
- Add the water, scraping the bits off the bottom. Then add back in the mushrooms, onion, and ginger. Then add the star anise, coriander seed, fennel, cardamom, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Bring the pot to a low simmer for 2-3 hours. Lower the heat, stir in the soy sauce and cover for 45 minutes to an hour..
- Strain the broth and add the roasted chicken pieces or tofu triangles to heat them through..
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cooked rice noodles, carrots, and green onions., then portion them into 8 large soup bowls, topping each with a charred bok choy half..
- Ladle the stock and chicken/tofu over each bowl until it comes up about 3/4 to the edge..
- In 8 separate small dishes, arrange the cilantro, basil, bean sprouts, and lime wedges for your guests to add if they choose. Leave the hoisin and sriracha either divided in 8 more small dishes or just out in their bottles for your guests to enjoy, depending how fancy you want to get with it..